Sunday, April 13, 2008

Caffe Barney

Two weekends in a row I have brunched at Cafe Barney (2528 Main St, Vancouver BC); specifically their new location on Main. I have to say the breakfast is outstanding. Had the chorizo sausage scrambler (without the bagel) both times. Tasty and filling. Had a salad instead of the hashbrowns and bagel (also tasty). My only annoyance with the meal was that they charged me extra for the salad even though they were substituting it. Do greens and some dressing really cost $1.50 more than potatoes and bread? I couldn't complain about the cost as R and I got comped our diet cokes; we were ignored for the first 20 minutes we were there because the wait staff all thought the other waiter had us.
Four of us dined and 3 of us opted for salad instead of the hashbrowns (which are really quite good but put you into a food coma half-way through the meal).
R is all about the brunch these days; feels it is a nice indulgence on the weekend and so much cheaper than dinner. I agree. There is something about having a leisurely breakfast at 11am, after spending Monday to Friday sprinting to work for 8 am and eating on the go first thing in the morning, that seems so decadent. I am pledging to go for brunch one day each weekend. And not to the IHOP or Denny's around the corner. To places that serve espresso, have witty menus and staff that could care less about providing good service because they are hungover from last night's party and really only the bottom of the roster gets stuck with a Saturday or Sunday breakfast shift because the tips are crap as nobody is ordering booze and breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day. I am enjoying this new trend. My ex and I use to make breakfast at home on Sundays and read the paper. It was great but the meal was practically McDonald's; eggo waffles, thawed berries, syrup and whip cream. We thought we were excellent chefs creating a meal using only the microwave and toaster. I now shudder at the thought of it.

0 comments: