I spent over 4 hours today viewing apartments. 5 apartments. Here is the run down on them.
#1
I almost missed this place because I was late leaving Burnaby. That would have been shame because it is my top pick. Only downside is that it has built in cabinets in the bedroom so the closet is outside the bedroom. Other than that it is perfect. Gas stove, movable granite counter top island that acts as a breakfast bar, great hardwood floors, balcony you can fit a bbq on, great layout, 16th floor, seemed relatively quiet and it had a view. When the owner found out where I work we bonded because he knows a colleague. He saw the list of places that I am looking at and asked me to email if I found something else. I think that means I am in the running!!!!!!!!!!!
#2
Brutal. At $1425 it is over priced for 588 sq ft with no balcony on the 5th floor. Old building. Old appliances. Crappy layout. Cheap laminates. The realtor showing me the place found out I was looking at 3 more today and wanted me to email or call and let him know if the place is over priced. It is. By like $300.
#3
The building is the one next to Rachel's' and it faces the alley so I could totally spy on her working out in the morning. It is a nice place on the 3rd floor overlooking the courtyard but over priced at $1600. The owners seemed nervous about renting it out and the place was packed to the gills their crap making it difficult to imagine living there. No gym or pool. They emailed me after saying they would sublet the parking spot for me and bring the rent down to $1500 but it is still over priced. It did have front loading laundry and a balcony that could hold a bbq but I have decided not to apply.
#4
This one left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Why? Because they guy offered a one year lease OR you can get a 2 year lease for $200 more per month and that way they WON'T kick you out so they can rent it out during the Games. The greed made me want to punch the guy. He justified a 5k rent increase over 2 years by saying it made up for what he was losing by renting it out to me over the Games period. I almost, almost went off on him and told him what a mistake he was making. It was a 700 sq ft open single level loft style apartment that is brand new. On the 2nd floor of a building on Hastings. Super loud! No amenities and the parking is some weird off-site thing that would be a hassle to sublet. The place was beautiful but the whole thing was tainted by his greed. I put in an application and I hope I get it so I can say no thank you and give him a piece of my mind.
#5
Almost out of my league. Almost...
This was by far the nicest. Wicked view. Brand new. Great layout. I know I would sleep well here since the den is off the bedroom meaning there are two walls between me and the outside world when I am sleeping. And at just two blocks from Rachel's I already know a neighbor. It is in a brand new building that is half hotel, half condos. Just waiting to hear about whether the locals get to use the amenities because it has a wicked pool. What makes this affordable is that I can sublet the parking spot for $100 or more per month. I think I will get beaten out in the application process as it is available right now even though the ad said December 1st. I don't want it enough to throw away a months rent paying for two places at once.
Fingers crossed for #1 and #5. I texted my roommate to give him advance warning that I am planning on moving out. My excuse for the non-personal touch is that we are rarely home at the same time. That, and the fact that he came home at 1am and was making a ton of noise in the kitchen.
2026 Summer
2 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment