Saturday, December 5, 2009

All about dinner

Had a lovely barbecue feast last Sunday evening at Memphis Blues with Mum, Harry, Rachel, Chris and Henry. The four of us from downtown walked (FYI it is 4.4kms one way) there and back to meet to Memphis Blues on Commercial. I am really enjoying the walking these days...especially when it is not raining.
Dinner was a protein feast. Can't even remember the last time I had ribs. Had the combo plate and only made it through 1 rib and 1/3 of the chicken before I called it quits. I did eat the sides (fries, beans, corn bread and slaw). All washed down with a beer. Yum.
Other restaurants I've eaten at recently.
I went for dinner post-work a few weeks ago with Kristina and Beth. Walking there from Main street skytrain I didn't know quite what to expect as it was right next to sketchville but looked to have a fantastic menu. Outside dodgy; inside cool modern and inviting. Excellent Italian food and I kicked the meal off with presseco. Just because. Had a Vancouver market salad and a pizza. Felt like I really might have been in Italy.
Another post-work meal with Jacqui and Kristina. FYI Kristina has the hot hand with restaurant picks as this was her pick as well as Campagnolo.
From the exterior I again had no idea what to expect. On main street a little farther south and so subtle we almost walked by it.
We started with the bread as we waited for the third and it was a massive serving of assorted breads with hummus, butter and olive tapenade. Third arrived and we ordered; had steak with mash potatoes and veggies. Amazing! Generous portions and the food was perfection. Simple fare that was extremely well done and at very reasonable prices.
This time it was dinner with Jodi and Anna. Jodi and I go out for dinner every 4-6 weeks to catch up and we like to eat at higher end restaurants. C, Chambar, Goldfish and Glowball so far. All excellent. It was Jodi's choice and I decided to make the effort to meet her and Anna OTB (over the bridge) as they both live in Kits.
Pastis felt like being Europe; warm, inviting and cozy. Had the endive salad to start; was a bit too cheesy for my taste as I am not a huge fan of Roquefort but still good.
Went with the bacon wrapped tenderloin for main. C'est fantastique! I never cook red meat so I often go for it when it looks like it is going to be good. Almost wanted to go for dessert but didn't have the space and it was 10:30pm at the point.
_______________

No plans for any dining out this weekend but am really making an effort to try out new (to me) restaurants as much as possible. Not that I don't enjoy Earl's, Milestones and the Keg, but feeling like I should be diversifying my taste.

0 comments: