Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hurry up and slow down

' Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. '

The days and weeks are speeding by here in Vancouver. I try and get over to Rachel's once a day to have time slow down for a moment. Even that seemed like an impossible task this week. We've been participating in readiness exercises and they ran from 7:30am to 8pm Monday through Thursday. Luckily I started practicing shift changeovers with my staff so after the first day I had 10 hour days max in the exercise with regular work happening during and outside my shift. I also practiced trying to get to the gym in the middle of all the working and I actually had some success. While I didn't get any long workouts in, I did manage 40-45 minutes each day. It kept me balanced. Still trying to figure out how to make it to 6:30am bootcamp class January through March. It doesn't seem feasible that I can finish a shift after midnight, get home, sleep for 5 hours and get up for bootcamp the next morning. We'll see.
People I work with who have done previous Games tell me you either turn into a 'skinny' or a 'fatty' during Games (their words, not mine). So I am working on a plan to combat this. I have a desk job and apparently the 'skinnies' are usually people that are on large venues and end up walking 20km in a day. Maybe I can get a treadmill put in instead of a desk.

Speaking of health, bummed I missed brother man and the family this weekend. I hope Kohei is on the mend. As I am super busy at work and running a half marathon next weekend, I am kind of paranoid about being near anyone that is sick. I'm also hanging with Henry a lot and don't want to bring any germs over there or get sick and not be able to visit.
Having a debate over trying to get the H1N1 shot. I'm really worried about getting H1N1 as I've had pneumonia three times over the last two winters. Everything I've read says if H1N1 turns into pneumonia you're likely to end up in the hospital and be on a respirator. Am I worrying over nothing/fear mongering? Do I wait it out until December when the rest of us can get the vaccine? One of my colleagues' brother had it. He had no complications but was in the hospital for 24 hours. But with all the press on que jumping I don't know if I really am considered to be more at risk than the average person just because I have asthma.
Hopefully if I wash my hands frequently and stay away from anyone who is sick I will be fine. Or maybe I need to create a bubble to walk around in. How do you think the suit above would look on me?

1 comments:

Allison said...

You have asthma and are not considered a line jumper. The last two days there was almost no one at the Mt. Pleasant clinic where both I and David (heart condition) got our vaccine. If you want it I would just go for it.