R and I pledged years ago that we would give blood every 52 days. We are both O negative and are universal donors, meaning anyone can have our blood. Our mother claims it isn't possible that we are O negative based on her blood type and our father's blood type. Well we are. Maybe the milk man was O negative.
So years ago we went to give blood and felt so superior for the fact that a) we are O negative and b) the stuff just flows out of us. Like we are meant to give. When the sister's went to donate together the stuff crawled out of G. Like at a snail's pace. Like her body just couldn't afford to donate and wanted to keep it. My theory is that she was dehydrated and when they called it a day on her donation they made her feel better by saying that the small contribution would go to an infant. Which almost sounded cooler than being O negative. Almost.
Rachel and I lay there looking at the timer and asking if we had set a world record. No? Well how about for the day? Did we donate in the fastest time that day? Maybe. That was all I needed to feel like the donation was a success.
In the last few years I have tried to get into the regular routine of donating but my hobby keeps getting in the way. For some reason they don't want your blood after you have been to India or Costa Rica. So I finally got to give again in January (after a year of being in the unwanted blood category) and then I realised I was going to Asia this summer and would be unwanted again for a year after. Am now in panic to give before I depart. So I have made an appointment for today.
Unfortunately I am procrastinating and if I donate I can't workout for the rest of the day. Hmmm. Savings lives or saving my life. I think I will call and just reschedule for 4pm. Giving me plenty of time to get that workout in and watch an episode of 24 season 6.
2026 Summer
2 months ago
1 comments:
ahem, it was not that i was dehydrated. they didn't put the needle in right and that's why it hurt like a bitch. although maybe i have tricky veins.
Post a Comment