Tuesday, July 29, 2008

don't waste the happy (Beijing version)


Had morning of work followed by an afternoon of sightseeing around the Temple of Heaven. Alone. And you will see once again that I have mastered the art of the solo traveller self portrait.
In keeping with R's mantra I am trying not to waste the happy. Things are fairly locked down here but I am going to make the most of time if I cannot get in places.


Today was my first day riding the subway. Word on the street is that the bus is too crowded and slow but the subway is crowded and fast. All entrances were easily marked as well as the stops. Literally, it was easier to figure out where I was going than using the London underground. Not kidding.

My usual mode of transportation here has been taxi or on foot. I am staying in hotel district so foreigners are common. Apparently foreigners do not normally take the subway. I got a lot of stares.

After 2 hours of walking around the Temple of Heaven and enjoying the greenery (I swear the air was cleaner in there) I headed for a foot massage. For 135 RMB (just under $20 CAD) I received a shoulder, neck and head massage followed by a blissful foot and calve massage in a very serene spa like setting. I am going again. Soon.

Now going to try and get a bit more work done. Tomorrow and Thursday I am at the Village and have meetings Friday before my 4pm flight to Cambodia.

1 comments:

Rachel Catriona said...

I want a massage!!

Yes, you are the master self-portrait taker. Do you have longer arms than me or something?