Monday, August 25, 2008

more cow bell

"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost." - Charles Caleb Colton

Ten years ago four college students heading into their final year headed out to a cabin to catch up before their senior year began. They had bonded in their freshman year, shared an apartment, a house, rides to rowing practice, tears, laughter and insane amount of mac & cheese. They had a feeling this was friendship that would last but only time would tell. There was distance, careers, heartbreak, time zones and life changes to endure. But somehow, they all kept in touch. Even if it was a phone call once every three months, a postcard from a far off land or a meet up for beers.

Not to get too sentimental but I don't have many friendships that have stood this test of time and distance. This short weekend I realised how lucky I am to have such amazing friends in my life.




Ten years later they returned to the cabin as adults. Two with their husbands, one MIA, a good friend added and two dogs to round out the troupe. A great weekend was had by all with the only complaints;
1) it should have been longer! I could have stayed for a week.
2) we ALL should have been there...

Eric bbqs up a storm. Tried to recreate the chicken tonight and failed miserably. Mine was overcooked :( Kerri gave us some kick as spices from one of the restaurants she does marketing for. It will truly save me from poor cooking. If I could only remember not to overcook the meat!

I can't even remember the last time I was at a fire. This was amazing. I wish I had a better camera so you could see all the stars that were out. It was like our own IMAX theatre.

Cooking smores. Maggie and Kim took one for the team and went to town to get the ingredients. Awesome! Don't need another one for ten years.
The couples on the dock.

An attempt to walk off a delicious brunch that included mimosas.

Not my best self-portrait and Maggie had already left.

1 comments:

Fall Garlic said...

Where was Ritchy? I thought she was in the car with you heading down. Did I miss something? On the actual blog very touching. Hold on to those friends. They don't come around that often.